Microsoft’s free upgrade offer for Windows 10 ended a few years ago but the good news is that you can still upgrade to Windows 10 for free. If you want to upgrade from the older versions of Windows such as windows 7, windows 8 and windows 8.1 to windows 10, there are several methods to achieve that without having to pay any fee and this can be done if you follow the right steps but you need to keep in mind that this workaround doesn’t work every time and Microsoft word might just decide to cut off new upgrades but you can still upgrade for now and after you do your upgrade, you will get a genuine windows 10 key which you can use to operate windows 10. This article will guide you on how to upgrade your older windows version to windows 10 for free and also how to upgrade from windows 10 to windows 11 for free.
How to Upgrade Windows 10 for Free
- Ensure that the copy of windows you are using is activated properly: Whether you are using windows 7, 8 or Windows 8.1 you need to make sure that you are using a genuine copy of the windows, you also need to know that anything older will not work and it is advisable that you find your windows 7, 8 or 8.1 activation key in case you are asked to provide it. You can find your windows product key printed on a sticker on your laptop’s case or on your laptop. Alternatively, you can use a free tool like NirSoft’s ProduKey to find it.
- Before you start with the upgrade, it is advisable that you back up your files to an external hard drive or cloud storage or you can choose to back your file up in both. The upgrade process doesn’t erase all your data or files if you do not choose to erase them but to be on the safer side, you need to have a current backup, especially if you are performing a major operating system upgrade.
- To upgrade your windows to windows 10, visit the Windows 10 download website and click on the download tool now button, and then download the .exe file. Run the file, click through the tool and then click on Upgrade this PC now when asked to.
- Accept the terms and then chose the upgrade options that will let you keep all the files on your PC or start afresh.
- Once you have installed windows 10, you can then go to settings and then go to update and security and then activation screen. After this process, you will see your system is activated with a digital license. If your windows 10 sign-in was done with a Microsoft account, the license will be linked to your Microsoft account. This will make it easier to reactivate windows 10 on your system if you ever need it.
Upgrade from windows 10 to windows 11
You can also upgrade your windows 10 to windows 11 but you need to meet some requirements to install windows 11 in your system these requirements include:
- Your system must have a 1 gigahertz processor or faster with 2 or more cores on a compatible 64-bit processor or system on a chip.
- Your system must have up to 4GB ram.
- Your system should have storage of 64GB or more.
- Your system film ware must be UEFI, Secure Boot capable.
- Your system must have TPM version 2.0.
- Your system must have DirectX 12 graphics card or later with a WDDM 2.0 driver.
- Your system must have an HD display that is greater than 9” diagonally, 8 bits per colour channel.
- Your system must have a Microsoft account and good internet connectivity.
If your system meets the requirements above, and you want to upgrade from windows 10 to windows 11, you can do it by downloading the Windows 11 upgrade file from the official website and then installing it on your computer or you can also upgrade from windows 10 to windows 11 by following the steps below:
- Go to the Start menu of your windows 10 and click on the Settings icon;
- The settings page will open, and then click on the updates and security option on the settings page;
- The windows update page will open, click on the check for update button;
- Your windows will start checking for new updates and will show multiple updates from which you can select the update you want to install;
- When you see the windows 11 upgrade on the list, you can then select it and then click on Download and install.
That’s it on how to Upgrade to Windows 10. For questions or comments, kindly use the comment section below and we would get back to you in a jiffy.