If you are looking for means to apply for the US Visa Lottery, you must bear in mind that the US visa lottery is a visa that is granted to applicants and members of their immediate family who meet up with the eligibility criteria for the diversity immigrant visa program.
Up to 50,000 immigrant visas are awarded randomly among qualified applicants to the US. Individuals who are offered the lottery visa are people from other countries with low immigration into the US. The green card awarded to winners of the lottery gives them the opportunity to live and work in the US.
Every year, a large number of people apply for the US visa lottery which makes it a highly competitive program. Because of the competitive nature of the program, applying requires care and precision in order to increase your chances of being granted a visa.
To increase your chances, it is important to study and follow the eligibility requirements of the program before applying. The purpose of this article is to give you all the necessary information about the US visa lottery.
What are the Requirements to Apply for US Visa Lottery?
To apply for the US lottery visa, there is certain information you will need to provide. You will be asked to provide your name (exactly as your name appears in your passport), date of birth, email address, sex, home address, country and city of birth, passport number (country of issuance and the expiry date of your valid international passport), the highest level of education, mailing address, country of current residence, marital status and number of children. If you are going with a spouse or your children you will also be asked to provide information about them.
Another important requirement is to provide a photograph of yourself and that of your spouse or children. Any photograph you upload has to meet certain requirements for it to be considered eligible. Some of these requirements include:
- Every photograph uploaded must not be older than 6 months.
- Do not use photographs you already used in previous lotteries.
- Copies of identity cards or passports are not required.
- No glasses in the photograph you are uploading even if you wear spectacles.
- Upload high-quality photos of at least 600 x 600 pixels, JPEG file, equal to or less than 240kb in file size.
- The photograph must be taken in clothing you wear daily.
- Use photos that are in colour and in focus.
- Frontal view photograph.
- Your shoulders must be visible.
- Photographs to be submitted must have a neutral facial expression with your eyes wide open.
- Do not upload photographs taken in uniform unless you are wearing religious clothing you wear daily.
- Use photographs were taken on a plain white or off-white background.
- The individual’s head must take up to 50% of the photograph.
- You are not allowed to send photographs where you are wearing a cap or headgear unless for religious purposes if your face is visible from your forehead to your chin.
Eligibility Requirements to Apply for US Visa Lottery
- Only natives of countries with low rates of immigration into the United States are qualified for the program. However, you will be considered eligible if you have a spouse that is a native of a country with a low rate of immigration to the US or if neither of your parents was born or legally resident in a country that historically does not have a low rate of immigration into the US.
- You must meet the diversity visa program education or work experience.
The Application Process
To apply for US Visa Lottery, you will have to undergo the process below:
- Application for the diversity visa program is done online. It is advised that the information you fill in on the form should be done by you and should be done using an updated browser. Submission of the entry form is free of charge.
- You will see a confirmation screen containing your name and your confirmation number once you have submitted your entry form. Print and save this confirmation screen presented to you.
- Applicants will be randomly selected from the list of qualified candidates. You will not be informed directly if you have been selected, you will need to check the status of your entry yourself on the ‘entrant status check’ section of the webpage. You will also get information on how to continue with the application if you have been selected.
It is important to note that all information you need to apply for US Visa Lottery will be on the webpage. You will not receive any notification about your entry status except if you check the entrant status check section of the webpage. To get more information about the diversity immigrant program visit the official webpage.