To logout of your Gmail account is a good idea in a case where you want to give away your phone, you logged in to your Gmail account with another phone or a shared phone or you simply just want to log out of your Gmail account for certain purposes. It is important because it helps to keep your private information safe from unwanted eyes while giving you that consciousness that your sensitive data or information is safe and secure. Logging out your Gmail from your device is a bit complicated and the best way to do that is to either turn off the Gmail account or remove the Gmail account totally from your device. You can also achieve this by uninstalling or disabling the Gmail app and by doing this, you will be sure that your account is safe such that if you want to login to your Gmail account again using the same device, you will need to provide your credentials again. This article will guide you on how to successfully logout of your Gmail account on Android or iPhone without much stress. Here is how you can do it.
How to Logout Google Account from iPhone
You can log out of your Google account from your iPhone by turning off the Gmail account or alternatively, you can remove the Gmail account from your iPhone. To turn off your Gmail account from your iPhone, here are a few steps to follow:
- Open the Gmail account on your iPhone and on the top-right corner of your screen, tap on the profile picture icon;
- From the pop-up screen, select Manage accounts;
- After selecting manage account, you will see a switch beside your Gmail account, turn off the switch beside the particular account you don’t want to show in the Gmail app then press Done to save the changes you have done. Your account will disappear from your Gmail app immediately after you turn off the switch. You can see and receive new emails if you enable the switch again.
How to Remove your Gmail Account from your iPhone
When removing your Gmail account from your iPhone note that your account is not removed totally from Google servers but your Google account and other Google accounts you have will be deleted. But you can still access your account when you add the account again.
- Open the Gmail app on your phone;
- At the top right corner of your screen, you’ll see an icon with your picture, tap on it;
- Tap on Manage Accounts on this device. You will see all the accounts that are added to your phone. To temporarily disable your account, tap on the switch that is beside the account name you want to disable but if you want to fully logout of Gmail from the device, tap on Remove from this device.
- A pop up will appear for you to confirm if you want to remove your Gmail account, confirm by clicking on the Remove button.
After clicking the remove button, Gmail will log out from that account.
See Also: How to Visit PayPal to Create an Account in South Africa
How to Logout of Gmail Account on an Android phone
To log out of Gmail on your Android you need to log out of the entire Google account on your Android phone because your Google account is linked to so much software on your phone. To log out of your Google account on your android phone, here are a few steps to follow:
- Go to the Gmail app on your phone and tap the Google profile icon located at the top right corner of your screen;
- On the settings page, open the Accounts screen and tap the Gmail account you want to log out from;
- Tap on the Remove Account Button;
- A pop up will appear, tap the Remove account button again to confirm the action;
- After tapping on the Remove account button, the Gmail account you want to remove from your device will be removed and you will be logged out of Gmail.
How to Uninstall the Gmail App from your Phone
Gmail is a pre-installed app on any phone or tablet and you cannot full uninstall it, you can only disable the app. Disabling or deleting your Gmail app doesn’t mean all your emails are lost, the app will only be deleted but your emails are safe. So if you don’t want to go through the process of removing your Gmail account from your phone, you can delete it by going to settings, then apps and then tapping on Gmail under Apps. After tapping on Gmail under Apps, tap on Disable and then confirm by tapping Confirm on the pop-up screen.
In a case where you still want to use the app, you can still install the app from the play store or App store.
How to Logout of Gmail from a Lost or Missing Device
You can log out of your Gmail account from a device if you don’t have access to the device. This option might be helpful to you if you have misplaced your device. To do this;
- On your browser, open the Gmail account then click the profile picture icon on the top right corner of your screen and then click on Manage your Google account;
- Tap on Manage Accounts on this device;
- You will see devices that are logged in to your account, find the device that you want to log out from then click on the menu button and click on Sign out;
- Confirm by clicking the Sign out button in the pop-up.